Try out teaching with our summer internships!
Are you an undergraduate student on a STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) degree looking for some teaching experience?
On our 4-week summer internship scheme you could gain valuable experience of maths or physics teaching in a Sussex secondary school and earn £1,200.
You can apply if you are in the penultimate year of a STEM undergraduate degree at the University of Brighton.
Deadline for applications: 13 May 2018.
- part of a national scheme which aims to increase the number of mathematics and physics secondary school teachers
- run by the University of Brighton Academies Trust in partnership with the University of Brighton
- work in a school for 4-weeks from mid-June to mid-July 2018
- earn while you learn. We will pay you £300 a week
- benefit from personalised support from a mentor and subject teacher in your school
- 10 places available
- experience mathematics or physics teaching before you commit to it as a career
- working with experienced teachers on planning, shadowing and lesson observations
- helping with the planning and delivery of lessons
- running projects and master classes for pupils
- providing 1:1 or small group support for pupils who need additional support
- organising school trips
- helping with laboratory work
- experiencing the educational practices of the subject department, including lesson planning, assessment and record keeping
- experiencing how data and information are used to support pupils’ needs, progress and attainment
- attending keynote inputs, delivered by the University of Brighton’s School of Education, on the principles and practices of learning & teaching and key contemporary issues in education
Our scheme provides an amazing opportunity to experience the excitement and challenge of working as a teacher in one of four busy and successful secondary schools. You will have the opportunity to learn alongside experienced teachers and benefit from a structured training and support programme.
At the start of your internship you will benefit from personalised support from a mentor who will work with you to develop a tailored programme of activities and targets based on your strengths, areas for development and future aspirations. You will continue to receive full support from your mentor throughout your internship.
You will also be allocated a Subject Teacher from your host secondary school who will guide and support you in the day to day schedule of your internship and individualised programme of activities.
Should you wish to pursue a career in teaching, you will be provided with advice on applying for an Initial Teacher Training programme, including support for the completion of the Professional Skills Tests.
You will have the opportunity to work in one of four local secondary schools.
Click the links below to visit each school's website.The Burgess Hill Academykeyboard_arrow_right Downlands Community Schoolkeyboard_arrow_right The Hastings Academykeyboard_arrow_right The St Leonards Academykeyboard_arrow_right
With the exception of Downlands, the schools are part of the University of Brighton Academies Trust.
Click the map to view a larger version
The University of Brighton Academies Trust is a network of 15 infant, primary and secondary academies in Sussex, all supporting each other – and our pupils – to excel. The Trust is sponsored by the University of Brighton, supporting us to ensure that our 7,500 pupils are inspired to meet their potential and develop a passion for life-long learning.
The University of Brighton’s School of Education is one of the UK’s largest providers of education and teacher training with a long-established reputation for high quality courses. Its Initial Teacher Training provision has been rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted.
Following the closing date The University of Brighton Academies Trust will then be in touch to invite all shortlisted applicants for interview.
Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions you may have.
Want to talk to us to find out more? Attend our drop in event:
Internship information event
University of Sussex, Falmer Thursday 10 May 2018
1pm – 3pm
Pevensey 2, main foyer.