Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship

The Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship is open to existing employees of the University of Brighton Academies Trust and is designed for experienced professionals and graduates aspiring to become a primary school teacher or a secondary school teacher. Typical entry roles include a Teaching Assistant or Cover Supervisor.

This new and exciting pathway combines a teaching qualification with on the job training, with expert support from the University of Brighton, rated by Ofsted as an outstanding provider of initial teacher training.

Our Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship programme


Our Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship training route leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), which will allow you to teach the either primary or secondary age groups in England and Wales. You will also graduate with a Postgraduate Certificate from the University of Brighton.

The Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship blends workplace learning with part-time university study. You will be based in one of our infant, primary or secondary academies for the duration of the year long apprenticeship, and 80 per cent of your time will be spent engaging in on-the-job school-based training. The remaining 20 per cent will be spent studying through a mix of web-based, face-to-face and independent learning.

In your academy you’ll have a mentor who will meet with you every week to look at where you’re making progress and to set personalised targets for your development.

You will receive a thorough induction programme which includes shadowing pupils in order to give you the best preparation for you to begin your teaching journey. Following your induction you will work alongside teachers, often team teaching, in order to get to know your pupils and the subject matter well enough to then take over the classes fully.

Train to Teach montage
Teacher and Pupil Looking at Globe

Your academy experience


The majority of your school experience will be in your host academy, where you will receive on the job training. Over the year you will also spend time in another academy within the Trust. We believe this will help you to develop as a teacher, by broadening your experience of how different academies work.

 

How will we support you?

Starting your teacher training in a school might seem daunting, but we’ll be there to support you from day one.

In your academy you’ll have a mentor who will meet with you every week to look at where you’re making progress and to set personalised targets for your development.

You will receive a thorough induction programme which includes shadowing pupils in order to give you the best preparation for you to begin your teaching journey. Following your induction you will work alongside teachers, often team teaching, in order to get to know your pupils and the subject matter well enough to then take over the classes fully.

By training with the University of Brighton Academies Trust you’ll also benefit from networking opportunities with trainees based at our other academies, and when your training is complete our continuing professional development (CPD) programme will help you to enhance your skills as your teaching career develops.

Studying at the University of Brighton

On the Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship programme you will also be supported by the university’s successful teaching team with an outstanding national reputation and comprehensive research profile that informs course content.

Course content is kept up to date with changes in local and national initiatives and legislation so that on course completion you will be confident that your working knowledge is based on current theory and practice. University study will cover:

  • Subject Knowledge Inputs
  • Professional Practice Development
  • Contemporary Issues In Education
  • Evidence Based Practice
  • Professional Knowledge Enquiry

Visit the University of Brighton website to find out more

All offers of places are subject to required regulatory checks including an occupational health check and a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced check.